ONTARIO 💵👨🦼 Ontario Increasing Support for People with Disabilities
Thursday, 25 May 2023 04:33.PM
- $3.5 million investment in Abilities Centre programs empowering people of all abilities with skills and tools to succeed -
The Ontario government is investing $3.5 million over three years to support the Abilities Centre, a community hub in Whitby that offers a wide range of inclusive programming for people with disabilities. The funding will support programs like therapeutic recreation, skills development, and post-rehabilitation programs that help people with disabilities build life skills and stay healthy and active, as well as employment services that help people with disabilities find meaningful work.
“The Abilities Centre is at the forefront of revolutionizing accessibility and creating innovative programs that meet the needs of people with disabilities, their families and their community,” said Michael Parsa, Minister of Children, Community and Social Services. “Our government proudly supports the Ability Centre’s important work to make sure people of all ability levels have the supports and opportunity to succeed.”
Some of the services and programs supported by this funding include:
• Abilities Centre Core: Projects that support the Abilities Centre’s development as a community hub, and research and development to expand services and programs.
• Thrive and Post Rehab: Skills development programs that help adults with cognitive disabilities become more active participants in their community.
• LEAD ON: Helping government, public and private sector organizations build inclusion and accessibility goals into their strategic plans and company culture.
• Abilities Enterprises, Skill Development & Employment: Helping people of all abilities prepare to work in their communities and achieve their economic goals.
• Therapeutic Recreation and Abilities 360: Intervention, education, and recreation programs that help people with disabilities build life skills, increase their independence, and improve their overall quality of life.
• Physical Literacy and Inclusion: Engaging people in physical activity and encouraging them to adopt healthy behaviours for life.
The Ontario government’s 2023 Budget: Building a Strong Ontario is helping to drive economic growth, attract jobs and investments, and build key infrastructure projects faster. The government’s plan is also training skilled workers to fill in-demand jobs, keeping costs down for those who need it the most, and providing better services for the people of Ontario.
“Our government is helping people of all abilities participate and thrive in their communities. With our investment, the Abilities Centre will continue to provide inclusive programming and meaningful employment opportunities,” said Peter Bethlenfalvy, Minister of Finance. “Ontario’s 2023 Budget is the right plan to support those who need it the most today while laying a strong fiscal foundation for future generations.”
"The Abilities Centre shows how Ontario continues to move forward on the journey to make the province more accessible and inclusive. The Abilities Centre also spotlights our government's commitment to supporting people with disabilities so they can fully participate in their communities and the economy."
- Raymond Cho, Ontario’s Minister for Seniors and Accessibility
• The Abilities Centre is a community hub that delivers a range of inclusive programming to promote health, community relationships, and skills development for individuals with disabilities.
• The Abilities Centre provides services to more than 4,000 members and 100,000 visitors annually at its Whitby location, as well as through regional programs.
• The Ontario government has provided funding for the Abilities Centre since 2019. Ontario’s three-year, $3.5 million investment brings the government’s total support for the Abilities Centre to $18.4 million.
SOURCE: Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services
- 08-Dec-2023 10:36 AM 🏠💵 Helping Build More Homes, Faster in Richmond Hill
- 06-Dec-2023 02:33 PM 🏛️💼📜💵 Government of Canada announces an additional $6 million to protect Fort Mississauga National Historic Site 🌳🍃🌺🐩
- 04-Dec-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO 🧑🚗🚓👮 IBC Commends the Ontario Government for Taking Action to Combat Auto Theft 🕵️♀️🔍💵
- 03-Dec-2023 06:33 PM 🍁💵 Canada Increases Support for Asylum Claimants
- 29-Nov-2023 02:28 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Ontario's Public Colleges and Ireland's Technological Universities to Collaborate on Programs and Research 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 06:40 PM 🏛️💼📜 Government of Canada Launches Consultation on Legislative Amendments to Counter Foreign Interference in Canada 💵
- 26-Nov-2023 12:00 PM 🚓💵 Federal Cabinet Ministers Issue Statement to Urge Collective Action to End Gender-Based Violence in Canada
- 25-Nov-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 🤓🧑🎓 Colleges call for immediate provincial investments and modest five per cent tuition increase 💵
- 16-Nov-2023 06:25 PM 💵🏅Government Of Canada Announces Funding to Improve Economic Security for Women in Professional Sport
- 16-Nov-2023 04:23 PM 💵⚖️ FP Canada Standards Council™ Opens Consultations on New Proposed Rules of Conduct and Changes to Practice Standards Aimed at Protecting the Public