ONTARIO JOBS 💵👩👩 Ontario Helping More Women in Durham Region Build Skills and Get Jobs
Friday, 26 May 2023 10:19.AM
- Durham Region among 10 new Investing in Women’s Futures program locations -
The Ontario government is expanding the Investing in Women’s Futures program to 10 additional locations across the province, including the Women’s Multicultural Resource & Counselling Centre of Durham. This will help more women who are experiencing social and economic barriers connect to supports and develop the skills they need to gain financial security and independence. This expansion is part of a $6.9 million investment over three years to enhance the program and create more economic opportunities for women.
“Expanding the Investing in Women’s Futures program to Durham Region will provide more women with the counselling, employment readiness training, and other wraparound supports they need to rebuild their lives, increase their participation in the workforce, and gain financial independence,” said Charmaine Williams, Associate Minister of Women's Social and Economic Opportunity. “Our government is empowering women to achieve the success they deserve because when women succeed, Ontario succeeds.”
The Investing in Women’s Futures program provides a range of flexible services and employment readiness supports for women facing social and economic barriers, including those experiencing gender-based violence and social isolation. These services and supports help women overcome any barriers, increase well-being, build skills and gain employment. The addition of 10 new sites brings the total number of service delivery locations to 33, providing greater access for more women across Ontario.
In Durham Region, the Investing in Women’s Futures program will be delivered by the Women's Multicultural Resource & Counselling Centre of Durham through an investment of $325,000 over three years. The organization will deliver trauma-informed counselling to vulnerable and underserved women with lived experiences of violence and abuse. The program will assist with housing, mental health, addictions, safety planning, legal issues, systems navigation, and challenges facing newcomers. It will also provide workshops on empowerment and self-esteem building as well as training in technology, interview skills, and workplace culture and negotiations.
"The Women's Multicultural Resource & Counselling Centre of Durham appreciates the financial support from the Office of Women’s Social and Economic Opportunity for the delivery of the Investing in Women’s Futures program,” said Esther Enyolu, Executive Director, Women's Multicultural Resource & Counselling Centre of Durham. “This will enable the Women's Multicultural Resource & Counselling Centre of Durham to continue to empower newcomers and women from diverse backgrounds experiencing social and economic barriers to connect to social support services and programs that empower them to acquire skills to heal, prevent further violence, and work towards financial independence to support their families."
This $6.9 million investment builds on the $18 million funding from 2022-2025 to support the Investing in Women’s Futures and Women’s Economic Security programs.
• As a result of COVID-19, women and gender-diverse Ontarians have faced additional challenges, such as increased economic insecurity, greater burden of caregiving responsibilities and a rise in the incidence of domestic violence. Young women, mothers of young children, racialized women, single mothers, Indigenous women, immigrant women, women with disabilities and women without university degrees have been most affected.
• In June 2021, the government launched Ontario’s Task Force on Women and the Economy to provide advice on addressing the unique and disproportionate economic barriers women face. Building on the work of the task force, the government is taking action to address the challenges women face in the workforce.
• In 2021-22, the Investing in Women’s Futures program helped more than 1,300 women across Ontario secure employment, start their own businesses or pursue further training and/or education.
SOURCE: Ontario Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services
- 31-May-2023 04:38 PM ONTARIO JOBS 💵👨🔧🚘👩🔧 Ontario Building the Auto Manufacturing Workforce of the Future
- 29-May-2023 02:28 PM JOBS Canada And Finland Sign New Youth Mobility Agreement
- 29-May-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 🏠💵 Canada And Ontario Build Over 260 Housing Units Across Ontario
- 27-May-2023 04:06 PM 🦠🔬💵 Emerging Pathogens and Antimicrobial Resistance Research Funding Opportunity Now Open
- 27-May-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO ⚕️💵 Ontario Connecting Long-term Care Residents to More Nutritional Food Choices
- 26-May-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO JOBS Ontario Removing Unfair Work Barriers for Skilled Newcomers
- 25-May-2023 04:33 PM ONTARIO 💵👨🦼 Ontario Increasing Support for People with Disabilities
- 25-May-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO 💵👨🌾🐓👩🌾 Governments Investing in Agricultural Leadership Development
- 25-May-2023 08:00 AM TORONTO 💰 City of Toronto Encourages Residents and Businesses to Urge Government of Canada to Honour its Funding Commitment To Toronto
- 24-May-2023 10:22 AM ONTARIO JOBS 💵👨🔧🚘👩🔧Ontario Providing Free Training for Auto Workers