ONTARIO JOBS 👷 Skills Ontario Applauds Provincial Government in New Mandatory High School Graduation Requirement to Increase Interest in the Skilled Trades
Wednesday, 15 March 2023 02:27.PM
Skills Ontario celebrates progress as a new provincial initiative will expose more youth, including more young women and girls, to careers in the skilled trades and technologies.
Starting September 2024, Ontario has announced all students entering high school will now be required to earn a Grade 9 or 10 Technological Education credit as part of their Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
The announcement is part of Ontario’s Plan to Catch Up, a provincial government initiative ensuring students gain access to learning opportunities to consider the skilled trades and technologies as future careers. It comes as Skills Ontario is preparing to welcome students and teachers to the 2023 Skills Ontario Competition in May at the Toronto Congress Centre to showcase their skills and knowledge in different trade professions.
Skills Ontario CEO, Ian Howcroft, attend the announcement made by the Ontario Minister of Education, Stephen Lecce, on Friday.
Howcroft said Skills Ontario is pleased and fully supportive of today’s announcement requiring students to take Tech Education classes as part of the curriculum.
“We have long advocated that students need more exposure to and experiential opportunities with skilled trades and technology. This change will result in more students being introduced to skilled trades and technology, which will help to address our skills shortages and move more people to fulfilling and rewarding careers,” said Howcroft.
“This is another example of Ontario’s leadership in developing and delivering skills solutions that will benefit the province, our economy, and our standard of living.”
- 25-Mar-2023 04:21 PM JOBS Minister O'Regan releases the What We Heard Report on Developing Greater Labour Protections for Gig Workers
- 24-Mar-2023 12:00 PM JOBS Federal Minimum Wage Rising to $16.65 on April 1
- 24-Mar-2023 08:00 AM JOBS Creating and Securing Good Manufacturing Jobs in Nova Scotia
- 20-Mar-2023 06:45 PM JOBS 💵 Government Of Canada Invests Over $25.7 Million to Fuel Innovation and Economic Growth in Vancouver
- 18-Mar-2023 12:00 PM JOBS Province Building Ontario by Doubling Economic Immigration
- 15-Mar-2023 08:04 PM ONTARIO 💵🛒 Ontario Promotes Key Sectors During Trade Mission to Texas
- 15-Mar-2023 04:36 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🚗🤖👩💻 Honda Canada Foundation Announces $375,000 Partnership With FIRST Robotics Canada
- 15-Mar-2023 12:00 PM JOBS 💻 The Impacts of Hybrid Work on IT, Technology, and Employees Detailed in New "State of Hybrid Work in IT" Report From Info-Tech Research Group
- 13-Mar-2023 06:26 PM ONTARIO JOBS Ontario Tightening Rules Around Mass Layoffs
- 13-Mar-2023 12:05 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🚗 Canada and Ontario Welcome Historic Investment from Volkswagen