TAX TIP Confirm My Representative is Now Available for Business Owners
Saturday, 18 March 2023 10:15.AM
The protection of taxpayer information is of the utmost importance for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This is why the CRA has stringent and ongoing measures to analyze, identify and mitigate potential threats to sensitive taxpayer information.
As a response to the need for added security measures, the CRA implemented the Confirm my representative service in October 2021. It is a two-step verification process that allows business owners to easily and securely control who has access and what level of access their representative has to their personal and business tax information.
What's new this year?
As of October 2022, all new authorization requests submitted by representatives using certified tax software (EFILE) will require business owners or their delegated authority to confirm or deny the request using My Business Account. There will be 10 business days to confirm or deny the request. If no action is taken by the business owner or their delegated authority within this period, the request will be cancelled. This process is typically a one-time action on the part of the business owners and it helps them play an active role in protecting and controlling who can access their information.
Alternative process for sole proprietors
Sole proprietors who meet certain conditions and have the same representative for their business and personal taxes may not need to register for My Business Account and use the Confirm my Representative service. When certain conditions are met, new authorization requests submitted electronically by their representative will be approved automatically. To learn more about this process, please go to Confirm my representative's authorization reques.
What can representatives do?
Representatives should advise their clients to register for My Business Account for approving authorization requests in time for the upcoming tax season.
With My Business Account access, business owners can then enable e-mail notifications and review who has access to their account. Over time, roles can change within a business and it is important to review and remove representatives that may no longer be involved with their business.
To learn more about how representatives can help their clients protect their tax information and verify and authorize new authorization requests, go to Confirm my representative's authorization reques.
SOURCE: Canada Revenue Agency
- 18-May-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO JOBS 💵 Moving Forward with Building a Strong Ontario
- 03-Apr-2023 04:33 PM TAX TIP CRA Debt Recovery Activities May Impact Upcoming Benefit, Credit, and Refund Payments
- 27-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP Voices Prepares Voice Actors for Tax Season With Tax Education Campaign
- 26-Mar-2023 02:23 PM TAX TIP Valuing Your Cryptocurrency
- 23-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP The CRA Would Like to Remind You That it Has Resumed Debt Recovery Activities; Here's How it May Impact Your Benefit, Credit, and Refund Payments
- 21-Mar-2023 02:33 PM TAX TIP 💵🏠 Less Than Two Weeks to Apply For $500 One-Time Top-Up
- 21-Mar-2023 12:00 PM TAX TIP Do You Work in the Sharing Economy? Here's What You Need to Know
- 14-Mar-2023 08:20 PM TAX TIP Thinking of Calling Us? Before You Do, Find The Answers You Need for Tax-Filing Season!
- 12-Mar-2023 08:29 PM TAX TIP Ready to File Your Taxes? Here's Why You Should Go Digital
- 13-Feb-2023 02:22 PM TAX TIP Were You Invited to File Your Taxes Over the Phone?
- 09-Feb-2023 08:00 AM TAX TIP Electronic Filing Of Special Elections And Returns Is Now Available
- 30-Jan-2023 06:40 PM Taxpayers' Ombudsperson Recommends Ways To Improve Communication From The Canada Revenue Agency
- 24-Jan-2023 04:18 PM TAX TIP Seniors: We've Got Tips To Help You This Tax Season!
- 19-Jan-2023 04:28 PM TAX TIP Here's what you need to know if you're filing your taxes by paper
- 16-Dec-2022 02:39 PM Budget 2021 The Government Of Canada Launches Formal Consultations To Streamline Reporting Of Payroll Information
- 04-Nov-2022 10:43 AM TAX TIP Six month doubling of GST credit payment starts November 4, 2022
- 03-Sep-2022 10:22 AM Government of Canada Strengthens Access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for Youth
- 25-Aug-2022 02:20 PM TAX TIP Do You Have Questions About Filing As A Business For The First Time? The CRA Is Here To Help
- 05-Aug-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Here Are Answers To Five Of The Top Business Tax Information Questions
- 16-Jul-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Do you have questions about filing as a business for the first time? The CRA is here to help
- 21-Jun-2022 11:14 AM City of Toronto issues 2022 final property tax bills
- 03-Jun-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP June 15, 2022, is the deadline for self-employed individuals to file their 2021 income tax and benefit return
- 17-Apr-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Businesses: Protect yourself from scams and fraud - know what to expect from the CRA
- 15-Apr-2022 02:22 PM TAX TIP Are you self-employed? The Canada Revenue Agency can help you understand your tax obligations
- 13-Apr-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP How to find help if you can't pay your taxes
- 01-Apr-2022 10:22 AM TAX TIP Did you buy, build, sell or renovate a home in 2021? Here's what you need to know
- 28-Mar-2022 02:02 PM TAX TIP Make sure you maximize the benefits you are entitled to if you are First Nations, Inuit, or Métis
- 27-Mar-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP It's tax time! You've got questions? We've got answers
- 26-Mar-2022 10:59 AM TAX TIP Do you work in the gig economy? Here's what you need to know
- 23-Mar-2022 04:22 PM TAX TIP How to verify the CRA has contacted you
- 21-Mar-2022 04:33 PM TAX TIP Do you work in the sharing economy? Here's what you need to know
- 20-Mar-2022 04:46 PM TAX TIP Making changes to your business? The Canada Revenue Agency is here to help!
- 19-Mar-2022 10:23 AM TAX TIP Are you a peer-to-peer seller? Here's what you need to know
- 17-Mar-2022 08:38 PM TAX TIP Are you a social media influencer? Here's what you need to know
- 15-Mar-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Before you call: Find the answers you need for the 2022 tax-filing season
- 10-Mar-2022 10:22 AM TAX TIP Small and medium business audits: What you need to know
- 11-Feb-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Avoid last minute delays at tax time by setting up My Account
- 07-Feb-2022 02:27 PM TAX TIP Investing in cryptocurrency
- 27-Jan-2022 06:33 PM TAX TIP What is cryptocurrency?
- 25-Jan-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Running a business is difficult; understanding your tax obligations
- 30-Nov-2021 08:00 AM TAX TIP Avoid last minute delays at tax time by setting up My Account
- 17-Nov-2021 02:14 PM TAX TIP Understanding the tax-free savings account (TFSA)
- 04-Nov-2021 04:33 PM TAX TIP Canada Revenue Agency announces maximum pensionable earnings for 2022
- 20-Jun-2021 05:33 PM TAX TIP Businesses: Watch out for Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy tax schemes
- 02-Dec-2020 12:00 PM TAX TIP What you should know during times of financial uncertainty
- 01-Sep-2020 02:03 PM TAX TIP Warning to Ontarians: Don't be fooled by the senior homeowners' property tax grant
- 30-Aug-2020 09:07 AM TAX TIP Last call! File your 2019 tax return to keep getting your benefit payments
- 29-Aug-2020 12:02 PM TAX TIP Watch out for offshore leveraged insured annuity schemes
- 28-Aug-2020 05:14 PM TAX TIP Watch out for offshore disability insurance plan schemes
- 13-Mar-2020 10:23 AM TAX TIP New online feature helps you see your uncashed tax cheques