TAX TIP Confirm My Representative is Now Available for Business Owners
Saturday, 18 March 2023 10:15.AM
The protection of taxpayer information is of the utmost importance for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This is why the CRA has stringent and ongoing measures to analyze, identify and mitigate potential threats to sensitive taxpayer information.
As a response to the need for added security measures, the CRA implemented the Confirm my representative service in October 2021. It is a two-step verification process that allows business owners to easily and securely control who has access and what level of access their representative has to their personal and business tax information.
What's new this year?
As of October 2022, all new authorization requests submitted by representatives using certified tax software (EFILE) will require business owners or their delegated authority to confirm or deny the request using My Business Account. There will be 10 business days to confirm or deny the request. If no action is taken by the business owner or their delegated authority within this period, the request will be cancelled. This process is typically a one-time action on the part of the business owners and it helps them play an active role in protecting and controlling who can access their information.
Alternative process for sole proprietors
Sole proprietors who meet certain conditions and have the same representative for their business and personal taxes may not need to register for My Business Account and use the Confirm my Representative service. When certain conditions are met, new authorization requests submitted electronically by their representative will be approved automatically. To learn more about this process, please go to Confirm my representative's authorization reques.
What can representatives do?
Representatives should advise their clients to register for My Business Account for approving authorization requests in time for the upcoming tax season.
With My Business Account access, business owners can then enable e-mail notifications and review who has access to their account. Over time, roles can change within a business and it is important to review and remove representatives that may no longer be involved with their business.
To learn more about how representatives can help their clients protect their tax information and verify and authorize new authorization requests, go to Confirm my representative's authorization reques.
SOURCE: Canada Revenue Agency
- 27-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP Voices Prepares Voice Actors for Tax Season With Tax Education Campaign
- 26-Mar-2023 02:23 PM TAX TIP Valuing Your Cryptocurrency
- 23-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP The CRA Would Like to Remind You That it Has Resumed Debt Recovery Activities; Here's How it May Impact Your Benefit, Credit, and Refund Payments
- 21-Mar-2023 02:33 PM TAX TIP 💵🏠 Less Than Two Weeks to Apply For $500 One-Time Top-Up
- 21-Mar-2023 12:00 PM TAX TIP Do You Work in the Sharing Economy? Here's What You Need to Know
- 14-Mar-2023 08:20 PM TAX TIP Thinking of Calling Us? Before You Do, Find The Answers You Need for Tax-Filing Season!
- 12-Mar-2023 08:29 PM TAX TIP Ready to File Your Taxes? Here's Why You Should Go Digital
- 13-Feb-2023 02:22 PM TAX TIP Were You Invited to File Your Taxes Over the Phone?
- 09-Feb-2023 08:00 AM TAX TIP Electronic Filing Of Special Elections And Returns Is Now Available
- 30-Jan-2023 06:40 PM Taxpayers' Ombudsperson Recommends Ways To Improve Communication From The Canada Revenue Agency