TAX TIP Thinking of Calling Us? Before You Do, Find The Answers You Need for Tax-Filing Season!
Tuesday, 14 March 2023 08:20.PM
Every year, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) tracks the questions people ask us and use that information to design new services and improve our processes. We want to offer you the best service possible, so you can easily access the tax and benefit information you need.
Before calling us, use the tips below to save time this tax season! You might be able to find the information you're searching for and avoid long wait times over the phone that come with our busy tax season.
Filing and payment deadlines
The deadline for most Canadians to file their 2022 income tax and benefit return is April 30, 2023. Since this deadline falls on a Sunday, your return will be considered filed on time if the CRA receives it, or it is postmarked, on or before May 1, 2023.
If you or your spouse or common-law partner are self-employed, you have until June 15, 2023, to file on time. Filing your return before the respective deadline will allow you to avoid interruptions to any benefit or credit payments you may be entitled to receive.
If you have a balance owing, your payment is due on April 30, 2023. Your payment will be considered on time if the CRA receives it, or a Canadian financial institution processes it, on or before May 1, 2023.
Before you call us
To save time, take these steps before calling us:
1. Check Canada.ca – The personal income tax of Canada.ca is now easier to use. It offers detailed information on how to file your return, including information on COVID-19 benefits and your taxes and how to report them on your return.
2. Check benefit payment dates online – You can view benefit payment dates on Canada.ca. If you're registered for direct deposit, you should receive your benefit payment on the dates listed online. If you aren't registered, you should receive your benefit payments within 5 to 10 business days of the scheduled payment date. Please allow this time before contacting us about a payment.
3. Try Charlie the chatbot – If you need a quick answer to a question, Charlie is at your service. Charlie can help you find the information you need to file your income tax and benefit return! Look for Charlie on the CRA homepage and on many of our other web pages on Canada.ca.
4. Take advantage of our digital services – We encourage you to use our digital services, including My Account and direct deposit. With My Account and direct deposit, you can easily manage your tax-filing information and payments from the CRA. You can also track your refund, view or change your return, view your notice of assessment, receive email notifications, and more.
5. Check CRA processing times – To find out how long we take to handle a request, use the check CRA processing times tool on Canada.ca. This tool gives you a target completion date and can calculate completion times for our various services. It often provides the same information that a CRA contact centre agent will give you if you call to ask about the status of your file.
6. Check telephone wait times – We offer estimated wait times on the https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information.html. We can also provide them when you're on hold. This will help you decide when the best time to call is.
7. Create a personal identification number (PIN) – You can create a PIN to authenticate yourself on the phone. A PIN is a fast and secure way for you to identify yourself when you call us. You can create a PIN in My Account before you call, or a contact centre agent can create one for you.
8. Find answers using our frequently asked questions – You can check out our questions and answers about filing your taxes page. We update it regularly during tax season to include changes that may affect you.
9. Make the most of our tax tips – You can find helpful information in our tax tips, which provide specific information about a variety of topics.
10. Paper filers – If you are looking to get a paper return, you can download a copy online at Get a T1 income tax package.
Even with these measures, we receive a large volume of calls. Unfortunately, this means callers may experience long wait times to speak with an agent. Please know we are working hard to process calls as fast as possible. We have taken steps to deliver the services that Canadians expect over the phone, including:
• Automated callback service – This service lets you ask for a callback instead of waiting on hold. It is available only at certain times of the day and when wait times reach a certain length. It applies to the individual tax enquiries, benefits enquiries, and business enquiries phone lines.
• Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) – Community organizations are hosting free tax clinics for the 2023 tax-filing season. Volunteers may be able to complete your taxes in person or virtually by videoconference, phone, or through a document drop-off. If you cannot file online, we encourage you to seek a CVITP clinic. To find out if you're eligible, and to find a tax clinic, go to our Free tax clinics page.
SOURCE: Canada Revenue Agency
- 18-May-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO JOBS 💵 Moving Forward with Building a Strong Ontario
- 03-Apr-2023 04:33 PM TAX TIP CRA Debt Recovery Activities May Impact Upcoming Benefit, Credit, and Refund Payments
- 27-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP Voices Prepares Voice Actors for Tax Season With Tax Education Campaign
- 26-Mar-2023 02:23 PM TAX TIP Valuing Your Cryptocurrency
- 23-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP The CRA Would Like to Remind You That it Has Resumed Debt Recovery Activities; Here's How it May Impact Your Benefit, Credit, and Refund Payments
- 21-Mar-2023 02:33 PM TAX TIP 💵🏠 Less Than Two Weeks to Apply For $500 One-Time Top-Up
- 21-Mar-2023 12:00 PM TAX TIP Do You Work in the Sharing Economy? Here's What You Need to Know
- 18-Mar-2023 10:15 AM TAX TIP Confirm My Representative is Now Available for Business Owners
- 12-Mar-2023 08:29 PM TAX TIP Ready to File Your Taxes? Here's Why You Should Go Digital
- 13-Feb-2023 02:22 PM TAX TIP Were You Invited to File Your Taxes Over the Phone?
- 09-Feb-2023 08:00 AM TAX TIP Electronic Filing Of Special Elections And Returns Is Now Available
- 30-Jan-2023 06:40 PM Taxpayers' Ombudsperson Recommends Ways To Improve Communication From The Canada Revenue Agency
- 24-Jan-2023 04:18 PM TAX TIP Seniors: We've Got Tips To Help You This Tax Season!
- 19-Jan-2023 04:28 PM TAX TIP Here's what you need to know if you're filing your taxes by paper
- 16-Dec-2022 02:39 PM Budget 2021 The Government Of Canada Launches Formal Consultations To Streamline Reporting Of Payroll Information
- 04-Nov-2022 10:43 AM TAX TIP Six month doubling of GST credit payment starts November 4, 2022
- 03-Sep-2022 10:22 AM Government of Canada Strengthens Access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for Youth
- 25-Aug-2022 02:20 PM TAX TIP Do You Have Questions About Filing As A Business For The First Time? The CRA Is Here To Help
- 05-Aug-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Here Are Answers To Five Of The Top Business Tax Information Questions
- 16-Jul-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Do you have questions about filing as a business for the first time? The CRA is here to help
- 21-Jun-2022 11:14 AM City of Toronto issues 2022 final property tax bills
- 03-Jun-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP June 15, 2022, is the deadline for self-employed individuals to file their 2021 income tax and benefit return
- 17-Apr-2022 08:00 AM TAX TIP Businesses: Protect yourself from scams and fraud - know what to expect from the CRA
- 15-Apr-2022 02:22 PM TAX TIP Are you self-employed? The Canada Revenue Agency can help you understand your tax obligations
- 13-Apr-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP How to find help if you can't pay your taxes
- 01-Apr-2022 10:22 AM TAX TIP Did you buy, build, sell or renovate a home in 2021? Here's what you need to know
- 28-Mar-2022 02:02 PM TAX TIP Make sure you maximize the benefits you are entitled to if you are First Nations, Inuit, or Métis
- 27-Mar-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP It's tax time! You've got questions? We've got answers
- 26-Mar-2022 10:59 AM TAX TIP Do you work in the gig economy? Here's what you need to know
- 23-Mar-2022 04:22 PM TAX TIP How to verify the CRA has contacted you
- 21-Mar-2022 04:33 PM TAX TIP Do you work in the sharing economy? Here's what you need to know
- 20-Mar-2022 04:46 PM TAX TIP Making changes to your business? The Canada Revenue Agency is here to help!
- 19-Mar-2022 10:23 AM TAX TIP Are you a peer-to-peer seller? Here's what you need to know
- 17-Mar-2022 08:38 PM TAX TIP Are you a social media influencer? Here's what you need to know
- 15-Mar-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Before you call: Find the answers you need for the 2022 tax-filing season
- 10-Mar-2022 10:22 AM TAX TIP Small and medium business audits: What you need to know
- 11-Feb-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Avoid last minute delays at tax time by setting up My Account
- 07-Feb-2022 02:27 PM TAX TIP Investing in cryptocurrency
- 27-Jan-2022 06:33 PM TAX TIP What is cryptocurrency?
- 25-Jan-2022 12:00 PM TAX TIP Running a business is difficult; understanding your tax obligations
- 30-Nov-2021 08:00 AM TAX TIP Avoid last minute delays at tax time by setting up My Account
- 17-Nov-2021 02:14 PM TAX TIP Understanding the tax-free savings account (TFSA)
- 04-Nov-2021 04:33 PM TAX TIP Canada Revenue Agency announces maximum pensionable earnings for 2022
- 20-Jun-2021 05:33 PM TAX TIP Businesses: Watch out for Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy tax schemes
- 02-Dec-2020 12:00 PM TAX TIP What you should know during times of financial uncertainty
- 01-Sep-2020 02:03 PM TAX TIP Warning to Ontarians: Don't be fooled by the senior homeowners' property tax grant
- 30-Aug-2020 09:07 AM TAX TIP Last call! File your 2019 tax return to keep getting your benefit payments
- 29-Aug-2020 12:02 PM TAX TIP Watch out for offshore leveraged insured annuity schemes
- 28-Aug-2020 05:14 PM TAX TIP Watch out for offshore disability insurance plan schemes
- 13-Mar-2020 10:23 AM TAX TIP New online feature helps you see your uncashed tax cheques